To apply for an open position, please follow the instructions in the posting below. Due to the number of applications we receive, we may not be able to respond to every inquiry. Please, no phone calls.
Adoption Animal Care Specialist
The Adoption Animal Care Specialist provides cleaning, feeding, and basic care duties for dogs and cats in the shelter and/or hospital and observes their health and behavior in order to ensure that animals housed at Berkeley Humane maintain good quality of life and health. In addition, other duties include finding loving, appropriate homes by answering questions regarding adopting an animal while providing outstanding customer service to those who are interested in adopting. Learn more here
Full Position Descriptions:
Reports to: Adoptions Manager
The Adoption Animal Care Specialist provides cleaning, feeding, and basic care duties for dogs and cats in the shelter and/or hospital and observes their health and behavior in order to ensure that animals housed at Berkeley Humane maintain good quality of life and health. In addition, other duties include finding loving, appropriate homes by answering questions regarding adopting an animal while providing outstanding customer service to those who are interested in adopting.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Includes adoption services (70%) and animal care (30%). This job description reflects the assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Adoption Specialist seeks to match loving, appropriate, and lifelong adopters with shelter animals, answers questions regarding the process, and explains procedures and protocols.
1. Encourages shelter adoption by providing outstanding customer service to those who are interested in adopting from Berkeley Humane.
2. Completes adoption agreements, microchip registration forms, insurance registration, and provides and discusses medical history.
3. Serves as a resource to the community by effectively imparting knowledge of responsible pet ownership.
4. Sets a positive tone and clear expectations for excellent customer care and service.
5. Responsible for supporting Adoptions team and promoting timely and appropriate adoption matches with a goal of minimizing the average
length of stay for adoptable Berkeley Humane animals.
6. Trains new adoption volunteers as needed to provide direction with necessary tasks and explanation of protocols and policies.
7. Provides prompt in-person and telephone customer service.
8. Actively promotes and markets Berkeley Humane animals and matches them to appropriate families.
9. Conducts adoptions, provides adoption counseling/animal selection assistance, enters computer data, completes necessary paperwork, and
performs follow-up services.
10. Actively promotes the Berkeley Humane programs and events to clients, volunteers, and staff.
11. Facilitates retail sales.
12. Promotes and facilitates enrollment in Berkeley Humane supported dog training classes.
13. Promotes donation and giving opportunities as appropriate.
14. Participates on committees and special projects as assigned.
15. Promotes communication and cooperation between internal departments.
Animal Care Specialist provides care to dogs and cats housed in the shelter and hospital according to Berkeley Humane animal care standards and protocols within the allotted time frame. This includes feeding, monitoring for illness or behavioral needs, providing enrichment, and walking dogs.
1. Cleans and disinfects animal housing areas and supplies, including cages/kennels, litter boxes, crates, dishes etc.
2. Grooms and bathes animals as needed or assigned.
3. Works closely with cat and dog program coordinators to follow behavior modification plans and provide basic training for animals in shelter
4. Follows medical instructions given by the veterinarian and clinic staff.
5. Greets and interacts with visitors in a friendly and helpful manner. Educates the public on animal care and adoptions and promotes all Berkeley
Humane programs and services.
6. Trains new animal care volunteers as needed to provide direction with necessary tasks and explanation of protocols and policies.
7. Supports the Animal Care Facilitator to ensure all Berkeley Humane animals receive high quality care.
8. Keeps the Adoptions Manager informed of animal behavior, health, or concerns.
9. Performs other duties as assigned by Adoptions Manager.
Education & Experience:
1. High School diploma or equivalent.
2. One year of verifiable hands-on professional or volunteer experience in the care, feeding, and handing of animals in a facility that cares for
and/or houses animals (e.g. animal care/control agency, humane society, veterinary hospital, boarding or pet day care facility, or shelter)
working principally with dogs and cats.
3. Excellent customer service.
4. Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft applications.
Skills & Requirements:
Highly motivated toward the welfare and humane treatment of all animals; ability to work with and handle animals safely and humanely; professional mindset; proven ability to take initiative and be a team player; demonstrated experience in dealing and communicating effectively and tactfully with the public; ability to multi-task and handle fast-paced, demanding initiatives while also learning and applying new ideas; agreement to support Berkeley Humane’s policies and procedures; passion for animal welfare and a love of working with all sizes and breeds of dogs and cats; ability to work with a team, manage deadlines, and be flexible under pressure; excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to professionally advocate the Berkeley Humane programs and animals; ability to work with a positive outlook.
This work is performed in office and shelter surroundings; requires workers to walk or stand for long periods; lift and carry up to 70 pounds; climb stairs; bend; reach; hold, grasp, and turn objects; and use fingers to operate computer keyboards. The work requires the ability to speak normally and to use normal or aided vision or hearing.
Exposure to strong and/or unpleasant odors, including those from excrement, cleaning agents, and chemical compounds; frequent exposure to noise, possible exposure to parasites and infectious diseases that can be carried and transmitted by animals. Workers are subject to animal bites and scratches and constant exposure to animals, animal noises, and animal allergens under conditions with no alternatives available. Work is subject to frequent interruptions. Employee is subject to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. Although all efforts are made to adopt out all of the animals we take into our care, some animals will be euthanized for disease, quality of life, or behaviors unsuitable for adoption into our community.
Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 12pm-6pm.
Submit a resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your documents must be in Word or PDF format to be considered.