- Be 18 years of age or older (25 or older for pit bulls*).
- Have valid state-issued identification.
- Be allowed to have a pet where you live. We recommend getting your landlord's or home owner association's policies and permission in writing before you adopt, to protect your pet.
- Be willing and able to spend the time and money necessary to provide training, medical attention and proper care for your new pet.
- Be able to pay adoption fees.
To make the best possible match, we strongly encourage all members of the household meet the animal at our center, especially children. And because they will need to live side by side, any dogs in the household should meet a potential new dog before an adoption is finalized.
BEBHS believes in an adoption process that carefully matches the lifestyle and expectations of our customers with the needs of our animals to ensure pets adopted will remain in their new homes for the rest of their lives.
When you express interest in adopting, our staff will ask questions about what you're looking for, your home, lifestyle, and family in order to suggest appropriate pets or determine a specific animal's suitability for your home.
When you find a candidate, we'll suggest that you and your family get to know the pet by spending some time with him/her. Our staff is there to answer questions and be your resource for information on behavior, medical care, pet guardianship, and the transition from shelter to home life.
It is our hope that your adoption experience will be a helpful, positive, and enjoyable one. While BEBHS reserves the right to decline adoptions that aren't good matches, we will make every effort to work with you to find a suitable pet.
Once your adoption is approved, you will receive an adoption packet, final counseling, and your new pet's medical records. Please be prepared to dedicate at least one hour to the adoption process. Falling in love takes time!